Urologist Flow Study

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
rossco309

Urologist Flow Study

Post by rossco309 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Yesterday I had to undertake a urine Flow Study at my urologist. Many years ago I would have not been able to do this because of my severe paruresis.

It consisted of peeing into a special bucket which has sensors in the bottom. It basically records when you start, your flow rate, how long you take, and final volume passed when you stop. It gives the urologist a paper graph showing how you perform in emptying out your bladder, especially your flow rate. The nurse then did an ultrasound on my lower stomach to see how much urine was left in my bladder.

The urologist and nurse were aware of my paruresis as I had discussed this with them, and given them literature, when I was last there 12 months ago. This helped me to approach this test without too much anxiety. The nurse had already showed me the separate room where the flow study machine was, and explained that she would close the door and wait until I had finished. I had to arrive with a full bladder, just like we do at our monthly AP support group meetings, and I had very little hesitation starting my flow and emptying out.

Unfortunately this test showed that my enlarged prostate, caused by BHP, needs laser surgery (HoLEP) to open up my urethra, otherwise I may suffer from a complete blockage before too long. I am booked in for the procedure to be done next Friday at a local private hospital.

Why am I sharing this personal news??? To encourage all the readers of this PAA Web Site to start, or continue, with your exposure therapy, with pee buddy practice sessions. I would again encourage you to join in your local AP Support Group meetings if there is one near where you live. You do not know what tests you may need to do in the future, and being prepared by working to overcome your social anxiety fears now, will help you when that time comes.

Ross _ Sydney Support Group

PS: For those in their 60’s or older this is a link for more info on HoLEP treatments now available in Australia. http://www.holmiumforbph.com/ Looks like it is a better form of treatment than TURP. Quite a few of my friends have had the older form of treatment in the past with a lot of complications.

Sam1002

Re: Urologist Flow Study

Post by Sam1002 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi Ross,

How did you go with surgery to open up our urethra? I had to do this test before about 10 years back and they found out my flow was equivalent to a 50/60 year old man (I was in my early 30's at the time). Apparently I have an unusual shaped urethra which is quite narrow and effects the strength of my flow and my ability to start a flow. It also means I don't empty my bladder properly which causes me to get up at least once or twice a night and when I drink beer as much as 5 or 6 times a night. They said at the time I could have surgery to help fix this problem but the outcome would be that I would ejaculate into my bladder so I decided to give that a miss. At least until I am older. I am 43yrs old now.

I would be interested to know if the opening up of your urethra had a positive affect on your paruresis.

Regards,

Sam

rossco309

Post by rossco309 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:44 am

Hi Sam,

glad to see you are catching up on your reading thro' the old PAA posts on this web site. Hopefully it will help you to see that many are suffering like you with paruresis, and that you can improve/recover from it.

My HoLEP surgery when well in 2013. I had very little pain, and it took a couple of weeks to regain full bladder control as the inner sphincter muscle is destroyed in the procedure. My flow rate is now excellent, and yes it has helped with overcoming my paruresis problems. I have been able to use cubicles freely for some years now, and I can normally use urinals with dividers with no problem even when they are busy. I have always had trouble with the troughs and so don't worry about them any more.

Yes you are right the HoLEP procedure causes retrograde ejaculation. So if you are possibly planning a family in the future I would put it off. :)

I was able to get my flow to improve for some years,before my surgery, using a tablet called "Flowmaxtra". Maybe this may help you as well. You will need to talk to your GP or Urologist to get a script.

Ross. (Sydney Support Group)
Last edited by rossco309 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam1002

Post by Sam1002 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Ross,

I was prescribed Vesicare which has 5mg of solifenacin succinate in it. My doctor thought it might help reduce the number of times I get up during the night. It is used for people with an overactive bladder with symptoms of urgency. I don't think it really worked for me so I stopped using it.

Its good to hear that the op helped you. I will probably do it at some point but I will look into the flowmaxtra you mentioned first and see if that will help.

Sorry for the personal question but did the operation effect your sexual performance or feeling/sensation in any other way? That would also turn me off it there was some negative effects.

Sam.

Sam1002

Post by Sam1002 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:07 am

Hi,

I mentioned Flowmaxtra to my doctor and he said it would take 5-6mths for that to work. He wants to get things checked out again before prescribing it. He give me a referral to have an ultrasound done on my bladder and prostate to see if the prostate is enlarged and to see how bad my flow and inability to empty my bladder is. The last time I done these tests (10/12 yrs ago) it was not good so it will be interesting to see if it has got worse which I think it has. Will let you know the outcome. Got the assessment booked for this Tuesday morning.

Sam

rossco309

Post by rossco309 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Sam,

sounds like a good doc to check you out fully b4 prescribing anything. Hope the tests go OK and help to explain why you are having trouble.

I have sent a Private Msg in answer to your more personal question.....

Ross.

Sam1002

Post by Sam1002 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi Ross,

I had the test done and it seemed to indicate that I am voiding my bladder o.k. I had 400ml pre void and 28ml post void residual.

My prostate gland is at the upper limit of normal for size measuring 27cc. My doctor decided to prescribe the Flowmaxtra you mentioned but she said it will take 2-3mths to have any affect.

The last time I had these tests they also put a camera down my urethra and they said that eventually I would have to have an op to widen it as it was narrow and shaped in a way that made it hard for me to start a flow. As mentioned before this op would, like with you, cause me to ejaculate internally into my bladder so going to hold off that for awhile longer.

I guess having a slightly larger prostate gland probably doesn't help either and these things combined would explain how my paruresis started.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else in the group had any of these issues.

Sam

rossco309

Post by rossco309 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:55 am

Hi Sam,

glad the tests went Ok, and I hope that the Flowmaxtra helps with your flow problems.

I had similar problems with a constricted urethra, unknown until Jan 2006, when a urologist tried to go in and remove a 5mm kidney stone stuck in my bladder.

If you want to read all about it here is a link to the IPA Chat Forum in the USA > http://ipatalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t= ... 7428#p7428

If you haven't been to this IPA forum b4 you will probably have to register to get in to read etc..

The urologist at the time said that this restriction may have helped put me on the paruresis road, due to my embarrassing slow flow, spraying, etc..

Did you manage to get to the Sydney Support Group?

Ross.

Sam1002

Post by Sam1002 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Ross,

I am sure that the fact I have a constricted urethra and now an enlarged prostate is causing my pauresis. I read a bit more about flowmaxtra and there seems to be some nasty side affects. I will see how I go and if there side affects I will just come off it and try something else.

I will also check out the link you sent. Would be good to read.

The Sydney group didn't happen this month. Hopefully next month.

Sam

JohnW
Site Admin

Post by JohnW » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:13 am

Sam1002 wrote: The Sydney group didn't happen this month. Hopefully next month.
It didn't happen because no-one indicated that they were coming.
The next meeting will be in February. We never meet in January.

JohnW