Cruising Along with Paruresis

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
rossco309

Cruising Along with Paruresis

Post by rossco309 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 am

Anyone contemplating a relaxing holiday, escaping completely from all your chores and everyday routine? My wife and I have just come back from a 13 day cruise on the Princess lines "Sea Princess". It was a round trip from Sydney to New Zealand stopping at 7 ports along the way. It was a great way to travel and a great holiday !!!

To the point: You have your own stateroom (we chose one with a porthole on the port side to see some of the NZ views go by) which of course has its own bathroom. The many public toilets on board, were well laid out, and all had urinal bowls with dividers (at least all the ones I visited) so no problems here. At most of the port stops the NZ tourist toilets seem to be unisex cubicles so plenty of privacy, and even though some were quite busy and had queues no problems any more for me.

Its great to be able to live your life without the fear of not knowing if you will be able to go. Thanks to all who have helped me get to this point in my recovery.

jeremy

Re: Cruising Along with Paruresis

Post by jeremy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi rossco,
Nice to hear you had a good holiday. :)
Is it just me or is the standard of public toilets in NZ much better overall? I was just in NZ (late Feb) for a two week road trip on the north island with my girlfriend. We hired a hilux van, which was fitted as a camper. So we stopped at a lot of municipal parks and a few road side stops. Mostly pretty quiet and non-challenging, but I noticed that public toilets there are cleaner and maintained to a higher standard. The most challenging place for me though was caravan parks/motor camps. They often just have one single amenities block and if its busy everyone will flock to that. We travelled a fair bit off the beaten track as well, nice to get away from the hustle and bustle.
I can't imagine that I'd enjoy a cruise ship too much though, after seeing tourists from such ships being herded around Wellington in convoys of 4-6 buses at a time. Though I went on a 24 hour cruise on a junk in Vietnam with my brother last year. We had a small en suite bathroom and it took me a while to get comfortable with it (I think more being in motion, engine noise and noise from the dining room above) but towards the end it was good. So I think if I had more than 24 hours it'd be perfect.
Jeremy