The space-time continuum...

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
Tim

The space-time continuum...

Post by Tim » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Yesterday I made a couple of entries into my diary about my latest practicing experience.

I visited a toilet that I always avoid, I didn't have much urgency and my plan was to just enter a cubicle and use my iphones stopwatch to experience how long 2 minutes of waiting really feels.

Unfortunately all 3 cubicles were occupied and no-one at the urinals! I had to take up residence at the urinal, standing there thinking how ironic! Was I the only paruretic or is it just that lots of people want space when urinating? I put this down as a great experience but was thrown off my game plan so went to another facility...

This turned out to be an empty toilet 2 cubes 1 tough. I stepped up to the trough, pressed go on the iphone stopwatch. I started really quickly (concentrating on the watch probably helped), finished, washed my hands and looked at my stopwatch, as I went out the door it read 1 minute 07 seconds!

Just thought I'd share the experience. My perception of time really gets skewed.

rossco309

Re: The space-time continuum...

Post by rossco309 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Tim,

Well done. This is a very encouraging post on your practice session.

I found that to go into toilets that I had previously avoided was good therapy. Sometimes just to explore and wash hands etc.. You have done well...

Keep up the good work..

Ross.

Damian

Post by Damian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 pm

I have noticed that many people use cubicles to pee standing up.

Ne time while doing a no2. 5 people came in and used the cubicles beside me and all stood up to pee in the cubicles.

Makes a paeuretic feel a little less of an alien..

Derek

Post by Derek » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Damian wrote:I have noticed that many people use cubicles to pee standing up.

Ne time while doing a no2. 5 people came in and used the cubicles beside me and all stood up to pee in the cubicles.

Makes a paeuretic feel a little less of an alien..
This is a very important observation.
When paruresis was at it's worst, I too had to sit down in a cubilce - and even then struggled, and tried to mask noise etc.
It was a real effort, and there was a lot of guilt and angst associated with it.
No more.
As you get older you realise that you don't owe anyone on this planet any favours.
If you have to use a cubicle, then do so.
As you have noted, plenty of men will urinate in a cubicle standing up - and have no qualms in doing so.
They may or may not be paruretics, or a low-grade version of one.
The main thing is that you get the job done, and gradually move out of your comfort zone into more challenging situations.
The main cues in paruresis are sound -being heard, and worried about being seen - eg shoe orientation etc -in a cubicle.
These are all the cues that dissipate once paruresis recovery is on it's way.

Derek

Post by Derek » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:17 pm

rossco309 wrote:Hi Tim,

Well done. This is a very encouraging post on your practice session.

I found that to go into toilets that I had previously avoided was good therapy. Sometimes just to explore and wash hands etc.. You have done well...

Keep up the good work..

Ross.
I find it is not a bad idea to check out toilets that may be having to be used.
Go in their first with an empty bladder, and take in the sights, the sounds, the smells etc.
Ultimately being able to go under any circumstance is the end goal, but knowing what you are about to face and have a mind map and mind plan is not such a bad idea either.