Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
crowtrap

Post by crowtrap » Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 pm

I have just discovered this site & have become a new member. I only discovered recently that i suffer from paruresis after reading the book 'Shy Bladder Syndrome.' Maybe I have always been shy when it comes to public toilets & could rarely use a urinal but it has never been an issue but it seems to have become worse as I have got older when the good forceful flow has become more of a trickle because of an enlarged prostate. On a recent plane trip to Africa I found for the first time I couldn't use the toilet on the plane even though I was busting. After reading SBS it increased my anxiety & I have another plane trip coming up in 3 weeks which I am not looking forward to & this only compounds the problem. I was wondering if there is anything I can do in such a short time.

rossco309

Re: New member

Post by rossco309 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi , Welcome to the PAA Chat forum.

as someone else with an enlarged prostate causing slow flow and dribbling at the end, I would recommend you get along and see a urologist asap.

My urologist has put me on Flowmaxtra tablets. They have made a tremendous improvement to my everyday life.

As far as your paruresis goes, the best method to improve is to follow Steven Soifers recommendations in the Shy Bladder Syndrome book. As well as the graduated exposure practice I have found that getting some CBT from a pyscologist also helped me to change my negative thinking.

Regards, Ross (65y old).

crowtrap

Re: New member

Post by crowtrap » Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Thank you for your reply Ross, the GP. said my prostate is enlarged but not that inhibiting to my urine flow. I can go OK at home & only have a problem when I feel anxious & has only become an issue in the last year. I have tried 'Flowmaxtra tablets' with little affect,
Chris.