Poll: Age of onset of paruresis

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
Derek

Poll: Age of onset of paruresis

Post by Derek » Thu May 05, 2011 10:08 pm

What age did yours start (ie when paruresis was first noted as a real problem):

1. <10
2. 10-12
3. 13-15
4. 16-18
5. 19-21
6. >21

My age of onset is Option 1.
I would suspect Option 3 would be the highest, followed by Option 2.
Option 6 would most likely be the lowest.

JohnW
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Age of onset of paruresis

Post by JohnW » Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 am

Derek,
For me, Option 4.
JohnW

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri May 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Option 1 for me.

Tim

rossco309

Post by rossco309 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:01 am

Option 3.

Definitely or me.

The strange thing is I can remember going to the toilets and peeing with my friends in the 1st & 2nd years of HIgh School, and then I just stopped going, and couldn't urinate in the urinal bowls any more !!! I have spoken to a good friend, who was one of my good friends then, he didn't notice that I never went any more with them. ie.. to the toilets. I normally would hang on all day until I got home !!!

Thanks Tim for starting this thread, Ross.

David Edwards

Post by David Edwards » Thu May 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Option 1 for me. I can't remember ever using the urinals in school toilets, although I do remember peeing in my younger brother's presence up to the age of about 12.

David

Derek

Post by Derek » Sat May 21, 2011 8:51 pm

David Edwards wrote:Option 1 for me. I can't remember ever using the urinals in school toilets, although I do remember peeing in my younger brother's presence up to the age of about 12.

David
The reason I used the option <10, is that most memories are blurred prior to this age.
I first noted I had a real problem in Year 4 in Primary School, ie aged 9.
I could not use a urinal, and this soon generalised to anyone in close proximity, in any situation.
These were the bad old days in the Catholic school system, when the boys separated from the girls at the start of Year 5 - and entered prep school, if you like.
I can recall having real anxiety about entering this new school system, due to the appearance of paruresis.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sat May 28, 2011 1:00 am

Option 1 for me

I can't ever remember a time where it wasn't a problem

str8playa

Post by str8playa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 am

option 2, i was on a train with my dad i was busting their were police officers on the train to my surprise
they actually assisted me by asking the conductor of the train to stop at one of the stations while i got off n
done my business (i wouldnt think this would EVER happen these days lol, this was when i was about 11 im
now 26 i cant believe to this day they actually waited for me to do a pee anyway while i was doin my
business my dad kinda stormed in the cubicle a bit frantically n i remember that day pretty distinctly which i
think started my whole episodes of this phobia, from then just esculated slowly, i started smoking weed at
the age of 17 BIG MISTAKE if your suffering from sbs as this just made me heaps more paranoid n hyper
alert of my surroundings this didn't stop me from taking drugs at the time which made my problem alot
worse with countless episodes of me having to go to great extents to being able to urinate, then moved on
to heavier drugs such as ecstacy, cocaine at times being on these drugs fully stopped the brain from being
able to register the thought of urination i know i was a silly boy, im now not taking any drugs and on the
road to recovery, im not sure if this has made my level of sbs worse because every time i go to urinate now
those episodes of when i was on drugs sorta play on my mind almost like theirs a part of my brain thats
permanently affected but after reading more n more success stories and everyone else thats suffering im realising
that this is curable , i know theirs not much relevance of this story to the initial post but i've never told my
story up until now n kinda got caught up in the moment lol, if anyone has any tips for me on my mission to
recovery feel free to give me your thoughts , thanks guys n girls for reading n think positive n always know
that this phobia is curable we can do it !! !!

salinesurfer

Post by salinesurfer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:01 pm

option 3 or 4 . :roll:

JohnA

Post by JohnA » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 am

Option 4
I was 18 and up until then I would be down the pub with my mates and can even remember having competitions to see who could pee highest up the wall. Then one day, in a very large restroom with a mate on either side of me, and without any hint of anxiety at the time, they started pissing and my piss just wouldn't come out. They finished and I was left standing alone with nothing happening. I can't remember ever being able to pee at a urinal since. So - just out of the blue for me. Would give anything to have those sort of competitions again!