Mini Melbourne Workshop a HUGE success!

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
Tim

Mini Melbourne Workshop a HUGE success!

Post by Tim » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Just wanted to tell everybody how rewarding the Melbourne workshop was for myself. I will start by thanking John for taking the time to plan and execute the 'mini' workshop for just five of us, it proved to be extremely worthwhile. Also to the small bunch of guys who attended and shared their stories so openly.

To put you in the picture I attended the first Melbourne workshop way back in 2005 which was a great experience, I think there were around 12 of us plus John, Steve and Russel leading the workshop. I met my pee-buddy their and after that we practiced well but eventually I found excuses not to, which slowed my recovery. I skipped the following Melbourne workshop partly because I was still practicing, but mainly because I had lost confidence in tackling the problem, over time I realised there were deeper issues I had to face.

After confronting these issues I had my confidence back to tackle paruresis again. The importance of being with others to share our stories, listen to theirs and then to get down to the de-sense practices is paramount to recovery. Prior to the 'mini' workshop I was a little skeptical of how it would work but it gave the opportunity for one-on-one time with John and to get to know everyone in the group quite well. I think everyone got comfortable with each other really quickly.

I won't go into a detailed breakdown of the workshop as I think John may. But I will say that I was most impressed and inspired by the progress made in just 48 hours. After hearing how debilitating this condition has been for these guys and to see where they ended up at the end of the workshop was miraculous!.

I hope everyone continues to practice and make good progress and move into recovery so we can all experience life to the fullest!

Anyone out there who has been to a workshop and thinks they won't get much from another, think again! And if you haven't attended a workshop at all, don't hesitate if you get the opportunity.

Cheers,

Tim

JohnW
Site Admin

Re: Mini Melbourne Workshop a HUGE success!

Post by JohnW » Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 am

Tim,
Thanks for your post.
Whether or not the workshop was a huge success will really be determined by what the participants do about it AFTER the experience. The four who live in Melbourne have planned ongoing practice sessions, and I am sure that if they keep at meeting regularly, using the principles outlined at the workshop, eventual recovery for each of them is pretty assured. Your location in regional Victoria makes it harder for you to be part of that practising, but even so, I believe you wish to join in whenever the opportunity is there.
I believe that one advantage in having a small group at the workshop is that it allowed a more personal interaction than would happen with a much larger group.
I am very pleased that we held it, and I enjoyed meeting you all and getting to know you a little. I look forward to hearing reports of progress over time.

Regarding what was done, I think it was typical of previous workshops, based on the pattern established by Steven Soifer. It began on Friday night with its sharing of our personal stories (and with only five plus me, we could talk at greater length than at earlier workshops, and did so). Saturday morning and afternoon and Sunday morning were spent alternating talks/discussions on recovery methods, "survival" methods, and practicising in the two rooms, with reporting sessions following the practising. There was opportunity to visit the local shopping centre.

On the Friday I had two interesting talks telling complete strangers about Paruresis, as I waited for the train on Friday at my local railway station in Sydney, and then as I walked from the Melbourne suburban station to the workshop venue with someone whose directions I asked for, and whose walk home would take him past the venue. And of course at the two airports I had numerous successful "practices" on the Friday and on the Sunday.

For me it was a great weekend, and I wish to thank all who took part.

JohnW

Tim

Re: Mini Melbourne Workshop a HUGE success!

Post by Tim » Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks John, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself to. I know the other four got together last night and hopefully we'll get a report on how it all went. Although I won't be able to be part of the regular group I will make sure I take advantage of any opportunity when I'm in Melbourne.

Something 'clicked' in my consciousness doing the second workshop that didn't in the first, I really believe I can get over this thing. I had success on the way home in a busy shopping centre where previously I misfired. Then while I loaded up while doing the shopping and was on my way home when I had an urgency. I turned round and went back to the shopping centre, there was a guy sitting out front (which would have put me off in the past) but I kept my anxiety at bay and had no trouble. I left thinking not much of what I just did, that must be how it is for non-paruretics all the time.

I came up with a mathematical equation as a strategy...
u - a = p
(u)rgency minus (a)nxiety equals (p)ee

I think about this now and it really helps.

Tim