My Story

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
johng

My Story

Post by johng » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi All
I thought I would share with you my story. I grew up in a household of women. My father was often away. I suspect he had the problem as I can never recall him taking me to the loo. Up to year 10 it was ok to use a cubicle with the door open. When we moved to upper high school the toilet design changed. I failed once and never went back. As we lived close to the school I went home each lunch time and the pattern was established.
About age 21 at university I realised I had a problem. One psychologist tried to help me but noone new much about this in the early 70's. The psychiatrist I saw wanted to put me on Valium. I then battled on by myself. I modestly improved over the years so that I can use airport loos and plane loos."so other people actually have this. I am not the only one"It was a relief to find the PAA site in 2006 I still have a fear/phobia of falling back into my old ways. Currently I am on antidepressants as it has got me down together with other work pressures. It is amzing that despite how common the condition is, little is said of it. I guess these must be common themes to everyone else.The only way I can see progress is through a self help group. Is anyone else interested in a Brisbane group?
Johng

JohnW
Site Admin

Re: My Story

Post by JohnW » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi John,
Thank you for letting us learn of your story. Yes, we can all identify with parts of your struggle - common themes indeed.
It's good to hear of the progress you made on your own, and if you can now set up a practising routine with one or two others, in all probability your fears of regression can be properly disregarded. Even occasional misfires should be seen as part of the process of responsible practising and non-avoidance, rather than evidence of that feared regression.
I hope your post encourages others in the Brisbane area to contact you.

JohnW