Report on my Overseas Travel

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
rossco309

Report on my Overseas Travel

Post by rossco309 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Travel Overseas is possible for paruresis sufferers!!!

Hi All Readers of this site.

I have just come back from 6 ½ weeks travelling o/seas with my darling wife.

Some background to those who don’t know me:- I have had medium to severe paruresis for over 44 years before I found out a name for it. I started talking, and then practicing, with the Sydney Support Group about 4 years ago. I purchased & read Steven Soifer’s book – ‘Shy Bladder Syndrome’. I attended two Sydney Workshops (2006 & 2008), and continued to persevere with the desensitization exposure practice whenever I could.

My travels overseas involved long haul flights. Approximately 13 hrs to Singapore in an Airbus A380, then a further 7 hrs to London. I had no problems urinating in the plane, even when having to join the queue to wait for my turn!.

When we were day tripping around busy London for 7 days, I normally would go straight into a cubicle, lock the door and stand up to urinate. I think my stress levels where fairly high due to the crowds everywhere I went, so in some ways I suppose I was chickening out of trying the urinals!! Never-the-less, I was able to go every time I needed to, without any misfires.

This basically continued for the next 5 weeks while we drove ourselves site seeing through England, Scotland and Southern Ireland. We then had a 2 day stopover in Singapore on our return trip.

I am convinced that all the desensitization work I had done over the last few years paid off. Remembering back to what I was like in the ‘bad old days’, when paruresis controlled my thinking and my life, I don’t think I would have even considered such a long holiday so far from home.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me through the last few years, especially to those I met, and worked with, at the Workshops, and of course all at the Sydney Support Group!
Anyone considering overseas travel – it IS possible. You can DO it, even with your paruresis. But I recommend you start desensitizing practice as soon as you can.

heribonia

Re: Report on my Overseas Travel

Post by heribonia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:16 am

This is a great boost to my confidence as I was supporting my wife mentally and trying to convince her about overseas travel as well. So far she has been shattered with the parusesis problems and has preferred living in the isolation. However I realize leading such a life would only make her frustrated as I am not able to devote time fully towards her owing to my occupation. Was really looking for some of the inspirational stories which could make a difference in her life. I am indeed happy to find this community and hope the gradual discussions and support would slowly help her regain her lost confidence.

rossco309

Re: Report on my Overseas Travel

Post by rossco309 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi heribonia,

sorry to hear about your wife's problem with paruresis. I am glad that my report on my o/s travel was of some encouragement.

Has she, and you, read the book "Shy Bladder Syndrome" by Steven Soifer? It is probably the best place to start getting some understanding about this social anxiety disorder and how to overcome it. It may be available in your local library, or it can be ordered online from Booktopia.com (on special atm $22.95 plus postage)

We have had a couple of women over the last few years make contact with us in Sydney. As far as I know they both improved tremendously. I found that even just to be able to talk to someone who suffers with the same problem as you have helps a lot.

Keep in contact, Ross.