Newspaper Article

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
JohnW
Site Admin

Newspaper Article

Post by JohnW » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 am

Sydney's "Daily Telegraph" ran a short but well-informed mention of Paruresis on Saturday 12th September (p.113, Inside edition), in the column "askbossy with Kate de Brito". It even mentioned the paruresis.org.au web address.
I was surprised at how accurate this columnist was in the advice given. To my mind it raises all sorts of questions about public awareness about "stage fright". I would expect that most people who find their way to this website have at least moderate paruresis, and so understand well the problem this can be socially. Yet in terms of actual numbers out of the whole population, the numbers reading this website and the numbers attending support groups or workshops are extremely small.
JohnW

rossco309

Re: Newspaper Article

Post by rossco309 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi John,

remember it is also called "shy bladder syndrome". Maybe alot of those who are suffering are to 'shy' to seek help....and thus our numbers are low.

Do you know how can we get a copy of the article that was in in the Daily Telegraph?

Ross.

JohnW
Site Admin

Re: Newspaper Article

Post by JohnW » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:40 am

Hi Ross,
A friend who doesn't normally read the "Daily Telegraph" saw it by accident, tore it out and and posted it to me.
I'll try to remember to bring it to the next PAA Committee meeting.
Of course, you could try the "Telegraph" website, and then post the link here if you have success.

BTW "Shy" there refers to the bladder and not necessarily to the person, although doubtless some people are shy in both respects. It remains true, I am sure, that for a lot of people, paruresis constitutes a very inconvenient and frustrating personal problem, which they would dearly like to see gone. I still wonder why so few of them are proactive in seeking recovery.

JohnW