Don't loiter in loud clothing

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
Derek

Re: Don't loiter in loud clothing

Post by Derek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Chas,
I don't think that we need to be paranoid about "security cameras" watching us in shopping centres, or other public places.
That is just our secondary paruresis talking that we are going to "stand out in the crowd", or be mistaken for a weirdo or unsavoury character.
Ironically, most paruretics would not wear loud clothing anyway, as most of us have had our whole personalities affected by paruresis, which tends to make us conservative and inconspicuous in public anyway.
Even now, I am hardly going to go out in public in wearing "Big Kev" style loud and lairly Hawaiian shirts.
Paruresis has shaped my persona that this just doesn't happen.
It's amazing when you think about it just how much Paruresis affects our lives in both a conscious and sub-conscious way, ie without our even knowing it.

chas

Don't loiter in loud clothing

Post by chas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:14 pm

The suggestion that you wait for others to go in so you can test yourself, gets awkward with so much video surveillance in shopping centres. I have one suggestion. Don't wear 'loud' or distinctive clothing. Make sure you blend into the background. Big brother may be watching.