Waterless Urinals

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
Derek

Waterless Urinals

Post by Derek » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm

I have seen this advertised on http://www.desert.com.au and http://www.urinal.net
This is a disturbing trend, that will only make Australian male public toilets even worse than they already are, if that is possible.
Whilst I am a hell of a lot better than I once was, I will never forget the terrible scurge that paruresis has impurged, on my otherwise productve life.
Stopping running water for over-exaggerated enviromental causes is only going to make things worse, and may actually enviromentally induce more paruretics.
It's like schizophrenia or alcoholism. There will always be a genetic predisposition to developing a disorder, however a poor enviroment plays the ultimate part in the phenotypic expression of a disorder.
It is also a wrongful assumption that everyone can fully recover from paruresis, as it is purely a social anxiety disorder.
There are numerous other physcial factors that contribute to the aetiology and pathogenisis of paruresis, which make it so damn difficult to be cured from it.
Noone here should support this.
Derek

Derek

Re: Waterless Urinals

Post by Derek » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:09 am

Check also www.watersave.com.au and
http://www.sydneywater.com.au/Publicati ... tSheet.pdf
If that doesn't give you nightmares, nothing will!!!

rossco309

Post by rossco309 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Derek, strangely this sort of article doesn' t worry me any more. It would have in the bad old days though. It certainly is interesting to see the changes occuring to save water in many areas of our society.

Did you see this line in the link to the sydneywater fact sheet quote..." UNSW has also discovered that installing privacy screens
between urinals helps to even out urinal use in washrooms, making it easier to schedule maintenance" ... ie men just don't go only to the 2 end ones when there are screens provided, they will use all the urinal bowls.

It's great for people trying to recover from paruresis to find some privacy screens coming in in some public toilets. :)

Rossco.

sms88

Post by sms88 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:40 am

They have these in America also at a highway rest area near me. It is a bank of 4 with the second lower than the other three. Apparently, my state thought that dividers weren't necessary and more people are now using the stalls, ironically using more water. They have been good for my practicing and within a half year, I have progressed from using the first urinal which has some privacy being next to the stall and no one else around, to using the lower second with other guys at the first, third, and fourth and being able to get a stream going within a few seconds.

Derek

Post by Derek » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 pm

sms88,
Thanks for your feedback on similar overseas situtations.
As you may gather from my post, I am certainly NOT an "enviromentalist", and never will be.
It seems that such situations, as you have described, may actually backfire in their original intent.
The people that instigate such changes allow only for what they see as normal in the general population - ie being a purist non-paruretic -and don't research that urinary shyness, hesitancy and even just modesty -do in fact exist.
Derek