drug testing

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
frost123

drug testing

Post by frost123 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:21 am

Hi I have only just become aware that this is a condition i thought maybe i was just odd but now i know. I believe i have paruresis, i cant urinate with anyone around though i am fine in a closed cubical or on my own. In my line of work I need to do pre employment drug and alcohol testing and random testing now i have been lucky on most occasions where the testing policy has been closed door though sometimes it has to be supervised. I had to walk out of testing today as i couldnt go supervised,my heart starting beating fast i got flushed and started shaking which caused me to basically throw away the job, I have another medical next week which is supervised, sometimes the nurse is understanding and lets me go alone but from experience i find that its pretty rare if the policy is supervised so I am just wondering if i have any rights and any alternative options? i can give a sample if let go on my own but if i cant i dont want to miss out on a good job opportunity if i can avoid it? does anyone know?

rossco309

Re: drug testing

Post by rossco309 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 pm

please see my post - Wed 24 Nov 2010 on - Drug Testing in the Workplace. (page 2 in the posting lists)

You may be able to get some privacy by showing them this article and explaining that you have trouble urinating in public.

Let us know how you get on.

Ross.

JohnW
Site Admin

Post by JohnW » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:32 am

There are few short-term options available to you, apart from discussing the problem with your GP and seeing if he will give you some form of letter which you can present to your employer.

For the long-term, you should be taking steps to reduce the severity of your paruresis, such as attending a workshop, joining a support group or finding someone you trust who can act as a pee-buddy, and practicing often, using the principles of graduated exposure as outlined in the book, "Shy Bladder Syndrome". You can also practice on your own in shopping malls etc.

Regarding the trauma of supervised testing, you can work on that by having your pee-buddy adopt the role of a test supervisor, and so you pee in a cup in front of him, on a regular basis. I think it is unusual for paruresis to go away, unless we become proactive in trying to confront it.

JohnW

onlyafool

Post by onlyafool » Sat May 05, 2012 6:14 pm

i had a nurse right outside the toilet you only need a little bit they can tilt it to hit the testing bit. i just forced my self and a little bit came out hard to find a good place to work with this conidtion