CURED !!!

Ask questions about Paruresis, tell your story, talk about it!
rossco309

CURED !!!

Post by rossco309 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:43 pm

Hi All,

some of you know me I have been registered on this site for over 10 years.
I'd like to share with you that I have fully recovered (CURED actually) but it was not a way that I would recommend unless you get prostate cancer. Robotic removal of the prostate 4 years ago removed all my sphincter muscles and unexpectedly also removed all my paruresis anxiety !!! After about 2 months when I had recovered from surgery, and learned how to control my urine flow with pelvic floor muscles, I found that wherever I went I could use the toilets without any hesitation at all. This was very unexpected and a real blessing having suffered with fairly severe paruresis for over 60 years of my life.
It's not something I would recommend unless you get prostate cancer but it is one unexpected plus !!!

Regards to All, Ross

Derek

Re: CURED !!!

Post by Derek » Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:46 am

rossco309 wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:43 pm
Hi All,

some of you know me I have been registered on this site for over 10 years.
I'd like to share with you that I have fully recovered (CURED actually) but it was not a way that I would recommend unless you get prostate cancer. Robotic removal of the prostate 4 years ago removed all my sphincter muscles and unexpectedly also removed all my paruresis anxiety !!! After about 2 months when I had recovered from surgery, and learned how to control my urine flow with pelvic floor muscles, I found that wherever I went I could use the toilets without any hesitation at all. This was very unexpected and a real blessing having suffered with fairly severe paruresis for over 60 years of my life.
It's not something I would recommend unless you get prostate cancer but it is one unexpected plus !!!

Regards to All, Ross
Thanks Rossco,
That's fantastic news.
There is no doubt there is a physical component of paruresis along with the psychological factors of negative reinforcement.
A combination of a weak stream and neuronal flow and negative reinforcement just pushes one into this disease state.
My own paruresis is much improved but has never completely been cured, can usually and reliably go when heavily fluid loaded and practicing, but other things like travelling can still be problematic.
Being able to nail the breath-hold technique is probably required to get to the final stage.
I was also on high doses of corticosteroids at one stage due to severe Sero-positive Rheumatoid Arthritis, and was urinating like a trojan on those drugs.
Your story is certainly inspirational, and a lesson learned to everyone that they can be cured, even after decades.
In any event, sorry for the late response, but continued good luck to you with your paruresis and other health issues.
Regards Derek